Aftershocks rattle island of Sulawesi as vice-president warns nation to expect significant rise in fatalities

Indonesia’s vice-president, Jusuf Kalla, has warned the death toll from the earthquake and tsunami that struck the island of Sulawesi could rise into the thousands, as more than 150 aftershocks hit the region.

The confirmed death toll from the disaster has reached 420, state media said on Sunday, but that is expected to rise significantly as rescuers scramble to reach the worst-hit areas. Kalla said there had been “no word” yet about casualties in Donggala, home to 300,000 people.

Continue reading…

Read More Indonesia tsunami: cries for help from rubble amid fears thousands dead

Facebook Comments