Eighty-two people have died after an earthquake hit the islands of Bali and Lombok on Sunday night
Julie Bishop, Australia’s foreign minister, travelled to Bali last night and has tweeted information for any Australians who are in Lombok. She said that DFAT staff were en route to the island to assist those in need and assess damage.
Landed in #Bali last night from #Surabaya – more @DFAT consular staff heading to #Lombok to assess damage and assist those in need following earthquake. Australians in Lombok contact #DFAT at Lombok Airport or phone +623612000100 @KonJenBali
Thank you to Ambassador Gary Quinlan & his incredible DFAT team & Embassy staff for their work in Lombok. They went above and beyond. Many still have not been to bed. No reports of Aust casualties at this stage. Best advice at the moment is 80+ dead and sadly likely to go higher.
p class=”block-time published-time”>
There are no reports so far of any Australians being killed or injured in the earthquake that hit Lombok and Bali, despite it being a popular tourist destination for Australians.
Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull says many Australians felt the quake, including Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton who has since tweeted to say he and other members of an Australian delegation visiting Lombok are safe.
Australian delegation is safe and is evacuated from hotel. Very grateful to Indonesian police and authorities and the AFP. We are not yet aware of the extent of the damage, but thoughts and prayers are with those impacted.