All the day’s economic and financial news, as Turkey’s lira crisis hits shares and currencies around the globe
- Latest: President Erdoğan hits out at US
- Erdoğan: lira will stabilise soon (after it hits record low)
- Introduction: Turkish financial crisis is deepening
- Markets fall in Asia, euro hits one-year low
- Turkish central bank is boosting liquidity….
- Q&A: Why is the Turkish lira in freefall and should we worry?
p class=”block-time published-time”>
German chancellor Angela Merkel has now waded into the crisis, urging Turkey to ensure the independence of its central bank.
“No one has an interest in an economic destabilisation inTurkey. But everything must be done to ensure an independent central bank,.
Germany would like to see an economically prosperous Turkey. This is in our interest.”